Seniors have a lot to keep up with during their Senior year! I hope this list helps parents and students stay on top of important steps to take to make the senior year a successful one!
- Meet with Mrs. Emerson to make sure you are on track for graduation. Arrange to make-up any missing credits early in the school year.
- Consider taking AP classes or concurrent enrollment for college credit.
- Check application deadlines for the colleges and scholarships to which you plan to apply.
- Start applying to colleges if you have the qualifications met
- Take the ACT on September 8th (if you have already registered)
- Check to see if you qualify for an ACT waiver
- By September 28th register for the October 27th
- Go to http://fafsa.ed.gov to create a FAFSA student and parent FSA ID. This ID is very important…DO NOT LOSE IT!
- Please go to Advisement! It is very important! Emerson will be giving out important information throughout the year!
- Attend the College Fair at ATU on Sept. 20th!
- Meet with the University of the Ozarks Admissions Counselor on Sept. 26th at 11:45!
- Take the ACT on October 27th!
- If you have not already done so, sign up for Fastweb.com, www.Collegeboard.org, and www.Fundmyfuture.com
- These are FREE scholarship searches…NEVER pay for scholarship searches online!
- Take advantage of our days off from school (Oct. 19&22) to start visiting schools that you are interested in.
- Seniors get 2 college visit days. See Mrs. Emerson for a College Visit Day form. You will need to have your teachers sign off on the form & turn it back in to Mrs. Emerson to get the day excused.
- Attend Financial Aid Night on Tuesday, October 9th in the High School Library from 5:30 – 7:00!
- Your parent/guardian is invited to Financial Aid night also!
- You will have the opportunity to learn about financial aid and the FAFSA (FREE APPLICATION FOR FEDERAL STUDENT AIDE).
- You will need to bring your personal information (social security number, etc), your parent’s personal information, and 2017 tax information to start filling out the FAFSA with help from the Financial Aid department from Arkansas Tech.
- Begin applying for academic scholarships!
- Many academic scholarship priority deadlines are in November.
- Most academic scholarship applications are included in the application for enrollment at most colleges. Double check to be sure when you apply!
- If you are interested in a Technical Program, UACCM holds a Manufacturing Preview day on October 10th
- Fill out the FAFSA anytime after October 1st (http://fafsa.ed.gov)
- You will need your FAFSA FSA ID, your social security #, your parents’ social security #, your parents’ 2017 tax return documents, and any other income information!
- Apply for the Arkansas Challenge/Lottery Scholarship and other state funded grants at http://scholarships.adhe.edu
- Meet with the UACCM Admissions Counselor on October 16th at 11:45!
- Attend Open House events at the colleges you are interested in!
- The University of Arkansas holds a Preview Day on September 22nd!
- “Bear Facts Day” at UCA is October 20th, December 7th, and January 26th.
- Arkansas Tech’s Open House event is Saturday, October 20!
- The University of Arkansas Fort Smith hold “Den Day” on November 5th & April 2nd!
- If you need to take the December 8th ACT, register by November 2nd!
- APPLY for Scholarships!! Many scholarship priority deadlines are in November!
- ATU Priority Deadline is November 15th
- Complete college applications – apply to at least three institutions!
- Check to make sure there aren’t any application fee’s that need to be sent in with your applications
- Request that your high school transcripts be sent to all institutions to which you are applying
- Send an email to Mrs. Emerson to request a transcript be sent or stop by and ask!
- Apply for scholarships in time to meet application deadlines.
- Males 18 or over must register for selective service to receive federal financial aid.
- Identify “nominator” and “recommenders” for the Gates Millennium Scholarship if you are applying.
- Using your recommendation form, ask for recommendation letters from 3 people for the Arkansas Tech Foundation Scholarship Application
- Arkansas Tech Honors Deadline is December 1st at 12:00 p.m.
- Take the ACT on December 8th if you need to raise your scores.
- Apply for scholarships in time to meet application deadlines.
- Apply for the Gates Millennium Scholarship – deadline is in early January
- Keep a copy of everything that you do concerning financial aid!
- Apply for the Foundation Scholarships at ATU.
- Apply for Housing at the colleges you have applied to!
- Attend Time-Out for Tech on January 24th!
- If you have made your decision on the college you will be attending, make sure and notify any other colleges that you are not choosing that you are withdrawing your application. A polite e-mail to the admissions office should suffice.
- Double check to make sure you have submitted your transcript, immunization records, and ACT scores to the colleges you have decided on.
- Governor’s Distinguished Scholarship deadline is February 1st.
- Final Arkansas Tech University Scholarship Deadline is February 15th!
- Deadline for the Arkansas Tech Foundation Scholarship is February 28th!
- Keep up with deadlines! Many scholarships will have deadlines during March!
- Keep an eye on your email for information on local scholarships from Mrs. Emerson.
- Pay housing fees to make sure you get your top choice for your dorm selection!
- Compare your financial aid awards from different schools. Make the best choice for your future.
- UACCM Preview Day is March 9th! Learn about the different program options, financial aid, student organizations, etc.
- Financial aid and scholarship award letters will begin to arrive in April. Read aid award letters carefully and be sure to meet deadlines for accepting awards.
- UACCM Scholarship Deadline is April 1st.
- Make sure Mrs. Emerson knows what college you want your final transcript to be sent to.
- Keep an eye on your college account portals (like OneTech). Pay close attention to RED flags for financial aid missing documents!
- Graduation!!! Congratulations!!!
- Once you have decided on a college, notify all others of your decision.
- Make sure your high school sends your final grades, class rank, immunization records, and proof of graduation to your college of choice.
- Send required deposits to school of your choice
- Check in with your college’s Financial Aid Office and Admissions Office to make sure all forms are turned in and that you are not lacking anything.
- FASFA deadline June 30, 2018
- Arkansas Academic Challenge Scholarship deadline to apply is July 1st!
- Arkansas Future Grant deadline is July 1st!